INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING JAWS FOR WINDOWS WITH THE CIL MANAGER DATABASE
Note: These instructions are written assuming that the reader is using Jaws for Windows 6.0 or later and CIL Manager 2.686. Also, the staff using Jaws must be set up in CIL Manager as a Jaws user. This can only be done by a database administrator.
Things to Remember Throughout CIL Manager
- When prompted to enter a name, enter last name first unless otherwise specified.
- To hear the contents of the current field, press Insert-tab (insert is num-pad 0).
- When in a combo box, type the first few letters of the item you want. If there is more than one item beginning with these characters, press F4, then use the arrow keys to find the desired item.
- When in a combo box, press F4 to open it and use the arrow keys to scroll through the list if you do not know what is in it.
- In most screens, Alt-1 will put the cursor in the first field of the form (usually Consumer Name).
- Use Alt-C to close all screens except the Main Switchboard. Close this with Alt-x.
- When adding records of any sort—Consumer Services, Community Education Activities, etc.—use F6 to switch between the button bar at the top and the main screen. Note that sometimes when you do this, you will land on the first field in the form, while other times you will end up on the Add button. If this occurs, press F6 to get to the form.
- If in a form that has more than one screen, press CTRL-Tab to get to the next tab. For example, this can be used in the Additional Information form.
- When asked to enter a date, you can press CTRL-; to paste today’s date in the field.
Consumer Records – Start to Finish
- When CIL Manager first opens, you may be prompted with a message that says “This is a newer version than the Master copy. Click Yes to update Master copy.” Either hit N or tab to No unless instructed otherwise by your database administrator.
- When prompted, enter your name, remembering to start with your last name. Tab once and enter your password followed by Enter.
- If you have follow-up dates set with any consumers, the Consumer Follow-up form appears when CIL Manager opens. Jaws was not reading this form correctly but this has been fixed as of CIL Manager version 2.696. You will start out on the consumer’s name. Tab once to hear the follow-up code (Assistive Technology, Healthcare, or Transportation).
- Tab through the form and you will hear City then Phone. If you have followed up with this person, tab again and enter the date you completed the follow-up. Tab again and uncheck the checkbox if you have followed up to remove this person from the Follow-up list.
- Press Alt-C to close this form and be placed on Consumer Info on the Main Switchboard.
- Press Alt-C to go into Consumer Info from anywhere on the Main Switchboard.
- If you are entering a new name press Alt-N to open the New Consumer dialog box. You will be prompted for first, middle, and last names, as well as Social Security number (entered without dashes). Tab once and you will need to choose the type of record—I&R or Active CSR. Tab again and enter the Open Date (use CTRL-; to paste today’s date).
- Tab and enter the Service Code for the first service of the record.
- Tab again and you will hear “List box, 0 of 2” or however many occurrences of the last name are found in the database. You can either tab again or press Alt-T to activate the Continue button.
- After pressing Continue, you will hear the consumer’s name. Use the Tab to move through the Consumer Info form. The first item after the name is the Program button. Hit Enter or the space bar to open this. This puts you in a multi-select combo box. Hit F4 to open it and use arrows to read its contents. Hit Enter on the first program you want. If the consumer is going to be under multiple programs, hit Shift-Tab to get back in the box and hit F4 again. The item you just selected will be at the top with the word Saved before it. To clear this one, press Enter on it again. Otherwise, arrow to another program and hit Enter to select it. When you are finished, hit Enter or the space bar on the Close button.
- Tab once and you will be on the Contacts button. Press Enter or space bar to open it. Hit Alt-A to add a new contact for this consumer. You will hear Jaws focus on the Add button. Press F6 to begin entering the contact’s information. Close the form by pressing Alt-C.
- Tab through the remainder of the form. Primary Disability is another combo box. After it is a check box for whether or not the consumer has multiple disabilities. If you check this box, you must then hit the Other Disabilities button. It is a multi-select box like the Programs. When you are finished selecting the disabilities, hit the Close button. Race is handled the same way.
- When you reach the Notes box, you have reached the end of the Consumer Info screen. At this point, you can press Alt-M to get to the Additional Information screen.
* Tip when entering I&R’s: I&R documentation often requires much less information, but a staff name must still be chosen in the Staff Accept combo box. To get to this field quickly from anywhere on the Consumer Info screen, press Alt-F which takes you to the PA Waiting List checkbox. Press the space bar to reverse your selection (check or uncheck) and tab twice. This shortcut is also helpful when needing to locate a consumer’s SS# quickly. After Alt-F and space bar, press Shift-tab five times to hear the SS#.
- After pressing Alt-M, proceed through the Additional Information screen. Jaws will indicate whether you are on an edit field, a combo box, a check box, or a button as you tab through the form. When you reach the Print Intake button, you have reached the end of this screen.
- Note that when on the Additional Information screen, you can press Alt-P from anywhere to activate the Print Intake button which will show a print preview of the Intake Report.
- Press CTRL-Tab and you will go to the Driving and Mail Lists tab. Here you can enter directions to the consumer’s house, specify whether or not they are to be added to your mailing list, and indicate the format in which they wish to receive correspondence. The last item is the Mail List Pick. It is another multi-select box. Hit Close to get out of it.
- If your center keeps income information on consumers, you can press CTRL-Tab again to get to the Spend Down and Income tab. Press Alt-N for a new income record. Press F6 to go from the button bar to the Income form. Press CTRL-tab to move to the Close Case and Follow-up screen or press Alt-C to close this form when done and return to the Consumer Info screen.
Setting Up Status and Goals
What’s your status?
- From the Consumer Info screen with a consumer’s information showing, press Alt-K to start a new Status Record. Choose Active or I&R, tab, and enter the Open Date (remember CTRL-Semicolon will paste today’s date anywhere in the database).
- When you tab from the Open Date, you will be asked to “Set up this consumer’s first service record.” Enter the service code or hit F4 and arrow through the list. Hit Tab to select that service and move to the Closed Date.
- Tab from the Closed Date to the Assigned Staff and enter your last name or F4 and arrow to it.
- If the status is I&R, Assigned Staff is the last entry in this dialog. If status is Active, tab to indicate whether the Independent Living Plan “Yes,” if goals are being set or “Waived” if the ILP is to be waived.
- Press Alt-S to open the first Consumer Service Report that was started when you created the status. This box is tricky. When you first press Alt-S, you will hear the consumer’s name. Depending on how your center tracks consumer visits and how CIL Manager has been set up as a result, the quickest way to get to the Service Code combo box will vary. You may find tabbing forward gets there faster than Shift-tab or vice versa. You will have already specified the Service Code, but this is often the best place to start so you do not miss any fields. When you get to the Description field, you will likely hear “First service.” Press Home, then Shift-End and Delete to get rid of this text. Type your notes and press Alt-C to return to the Consumer Info screen.
- At the beginning of each month, you are probably required to print your notes from the previous month. From the Services screen, press F6 to go to the button bar. Tab until you hear “From Date.” Enter the first day of the month. Tab and enter the last day of the month.
- When you tab again, the services for the range of dates you entered appear. To print the notes for that range, press Alt-P. This opens the Consumer Report Pick form where you specify which type of report you are printing—All Displayed Services or Progressive Report. Tab to the Print button and press Enter or the space bar.
- You are now in the preview screen. Press CTRL-P to print the notes to the printer.
- Close the preview screen with Alt-C. Press Alt-C again to return to the Services screen.
So You Want to Set Goals!
- From the Consumer Info screen, press Alt-G. You will start on the consumer’s name. If there are goals already in the consumer’s record, you can press Shift-tab three times to hear the description of the last goal entered. If no goals have been established, you will not move from the consumer’s name.
- Press Alt-A to add a new goal. Enter the goal code or hit F4 and arrow through the list.
- Tab to the Set Date (CTRL-Semicolon puts in today’s date). Tab to the Target Date.
- Note that when you tab again, you will hear “Met date.” If you tab again, you will hear the same thing. This is a flaw in how Jaws reads the label. The fourth date field is the Dropped Date.
- Tab after the Dropped Date, and enter the goal description.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 to add additional goals, pressing Alt-C to return to the Consumer Info screen when finished.
- To print the ILP, press F6 on the Consumer Info screen and tab twice to the Print button.
- Tab until you hear “Management item.” It should default to Goals ILP. Tab once to the From Date, enter the date the goals started, tab to the To Date and enter the final date. Tab again to the Print button and press Enter or the space bar.
- Caution! Activate your Jaws cursor to read the preview screen. If you do not hear “Goal details” and the contents of the ILP, you will be printing a blank ILP with the consumer’s name printed at the bottom. This is common with consumer records that have multiple status records. For example, one that shows they achieved all goals and a current one that addresses new goals. You may require sighted assistance if this happens.
- Press CTRL-P to send the ILP to the printer.
- Press Alt-C to close the preview screen and Alt-C again to return to the Consumer Info screen. You will be on the button bar at the top. Press F6 to return to the main part of the form.
Closing Status Records
Active CSR Records
1. If on either the Goals or Services button after entering final information, press Shift-tab until you hear “Combo box.” The first combo box is the ILP. Press Shift-tab four more times to get to the Status combo box.
2. Press F4 and arrow to the appropriate inactive status.
Tab twice and enter the Closed Date.
The combo box you will hear when pressing Shift-tab from the Services button is the Assigned Staff. From this, Shift-tab again to enter the Closed Date.
When closing either type of status, you will be asked questions about whether you wish to set a follow-up date and if you wish to send the consumer a letter. If he or she has been identified as “Not institutionalized,” you will also be asked if you wish to drop them from that list. Likewise if the consumer has been added to your mailing list. When you answer the last of these, you will be placed back on the Consumer Info screen.
To look up resources in the database:
1. Either tab to the Resources button or press Alt-O.
2. Type the first few letters of the resource category (accessible housing, energy assistance, etc.) or press F4 and arrow through the list pressing Tab to select that resource.
3. Press F6 to move to the list of vendors under the chosen resource. You will land on a check box next to the first vendor in the list.
4. Press the space bar to check the box if you wish to select this vendor as one of the ones to be printed. Press Tab and you will land on the Info button for this vendor. Press the space bar and you can tab through the information for this vendor. Tab to the Close button or press Alt-C to return to the Info button.
5. Tab again to get to the check box of the next vendor.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 checking the boxes of the vendors to be printed.
7. Press Alt-P to bring up the Print Preview screen. Press CTRL-P to send this to the printer.
8. Press Alt-C to close the list of vendors and return to the Main Switchboard.
If you have the appropriate permissions, you can add vendors to multiple resources or assign a resource to multiple vendors. After pressing Alt-O to activate the Resources button, you can tab through the buttons on the bar.
If you assign a resource to multiple vendors, tab to the Resource>Vendor button and press the space bar. Select the resource from the list and tab. You will then be in a multi-select combo box. This is exactly the same as the Programs, Other Disabilities, and Race combo boxes in Consumer Info. Press Alt-C to close when you have finished.
Assigning a vendor to multiple resources works exactly the same way. Choose the single vendor from the combo box and press Tab. You will be in the multi-select combo box of resources.
Out in the Community
Documenting community activities and staff training are very similar to the Consumer Services Report. Outreach, disability awareness, collaboration, and systemic advocacy is all captured under Community Education and Advocacy or CEA Activities (Jaws will likely pronounce C E A as see). This is on the Main Switchboard of the database.
To Document Community Services:
- Tab to CEA Activities and press Enter or space bar.
- Enter your last name.
- Press Alt-A to add a CEA record. You will hear the Date field. It will probably default to today’s date.
- Tab and you will hear “Combo 7 combo box.” Jaws does not read this label correctly, but it lists the types of Community Services. Type the first few letters or press F4 and arrow through the list.
- Tab to enter the units.
- Tab again and you will be prompted for “People.” This is for activities in which more than one center staff participated.
- Tab again and check whether or not it was an activity conducted by the center.
- If another agency was involved, tab again and enter the agency name or select it from the list by hitting F4 and arrowing through the list. Likewise, if you have a contact person, you may tab again and either enter the name or select it.
- Tab again to the Info button. Here, you can enter additional information about the contact.
- Finally, the last field you must fill in is the Description field. Type a brief description of the activity.
- If your center tracks mileage through CIL Manager, there is one last button after the Description. The Travel button is on most screens for entering mileage incurred driving to consumers’ homes or to presentations, etc.
- Press Alt-C to close the CEA Activities form and return to the Main Switchboard.
Documenting staff training is almost identical.
- On the Main Switchboard, tab to the Training button and press Enter.
- This form is very similar to the CEA Activities form. Press Alt-A to add a record. The first field is the Date.
- Tab and choose the type of training.
- Tab through entering the hours, number of staff, and the description of the training.
- Finally, indicate whether it was a training for staff or board.
- Press Alt-C to close the form and return to the Main Switchboard.
What do I need to know about using Jaws with reports?
The most important things to remember about setting up reports is that occasionally a sub form will open and Jaws will get stuck in it. For example, for some reports you can pick staff from a list of checkboxes. If you tab into the beginning of this list you will be stuck there. If you tab, you will eventually reach the end and wrap to the top and start through the list again.
How do I get out of this?
You can press Alt-P, which will put you in the Program combo box. You can then tab and Shift-tab to the other fields.
The rest of the reports use buttons, combo boxes, checkboxes, and edit fields, all mentioned previously. If you have specific questions on using Jaws with reports, refer to the contact information at the end of this document.
I’m Done! How do I get out of here?
VERY IMPORTANT!!! From the Main Switchboard, only press Alt-X to exit CIL Manager. Closing the database any other way could result in a loss of your data or may cause the system to lock up the next time you go to open it.
What if I have other questions?
Questions specifically concerning Jaws for Windows and CIL Manager can be directed to:
Dave Munroe, Independent Living Specialist
Springfield Center for Independent Living (SCIL)
330 South Grand Avenue West
Springfield, IL 62704